Create work breakdown structure (WBS) codes
Work breakdown structure (WBS) codes are alphanumeric codes that identify each task's unique place in the outline structure of your project.
There are two types / columns of WBS codes in iTaskX:
The Outline Number column
Outline numbers are the simplest type of WBS coding. iTaskX automatically calculates an outline number for each task, basing the numbering on the outline structure of the task list. For example, the first task in your task list is numbered 1. If that task has three subtasks, the subtasks are numbered 1.1, 1.2, and 1.3.
Outline numbers consist of numbers only (no letters) and you can't edit them. They do, however, change automatically when you move a task up or down in the task list and when you indent or outdent tasks. For example, if a subtask currently has an outline number of 3.6.4, and if you move it up one row in the list, the outline number is automatically updated to 3.6.3. If you then outdent that same subtask, the outline number is automatically updated to 3.7.
The WBS-Code column
If your project would benefit from having detailed WBS codes that are made up of specific lengths, sequences, or sets of numbers and letters, you can define a single custom WBS code mask for the project.
As with outline numbers, each level of a custom WBS code represents an outline level in the task list. You can use a unique format for each level of the code, and each level is listed in the code according to the hierarchy of tasks, summary tasks, and subtasks.
- Point to „View” (from the „View” menu at the top of your screen) and choose a task view like „Gant Chart”, „Tracking Gantt”, „Task Sheet” or „Task Usage”.
- Add the „WBS-Code” column by using „View” (from the „View” menu at the top of your screen) > „Edit Columns...” or use the context menu in a column header.
- Point to „Edit”(from the „View” menu at the top of your screen) > „Define WBS-Code...".
- Type a project-specific code prefix in the „Prefix” field.
- To specify the code string for first-level tasks, in the first row in the „Sequence” column, select the type of character that you want to use for this level:
- Select „Numbers” to show a numeric WBS code for this level (for example, 1, 2, and 3 for the first three summary tasks in the project).
- Select „Uppercase Letters” to show uppercase alphabetical WBS codes (for example, A, B, and C for the first three summary tasks in the project).
- Select „Lowercase Letters” to show lowercase alphabetical WBS codes (for example, a, b, and c for the first three summary tasks in the project).
- Select „Custom” to show any combination of numbers and uppercase and lowercase letters (for example, Arch1, Const1, and Insp1 for the first three summary tasks in the project).
- In the „Length” column, type or select the number of characters for each level of the code string. You can either enter the exact number of characters or select „Any” to allow any number of characters for that code level.
For example, you can type 3 to make three characters the mandatory number of characters to enter in one level of the WBS code. The total length of a WBS code can be from 1 to 255 characters.
- In the „Separator” column, select a character to separate the code string for one level from the code string for the next level.
- Specify one code string for each level of indented tasks in your outline.
To specify individual code strings for each level, click the next row, and complete the „Sequence”, „Length” and „Separator” columns.
- If you don't want iTaskX to automatically assign a WBS code each time that you enter a new task, deselect the „Generate WBS code for new tasks” check-box.
- To permit the use of the same WBS code for multiple tasks, deselect the „Verify uniqueness of new WBS-Codes” check-box.
- Click „OK” to set the WBS Codes and leaf the sheet.
After you add, move or delete tasks, their custom WBS codes may no longer be in correct sequence. iTaskX does not automatically renumber the WBS codes, because you may be using those WBS codes in other documents. You can renumber the WBS codes of all tasks or selected tasks any time:
- Point to „Edit”(from the „View” menu at the top of your screen) > „Recalc WBS-Codes...".
- Choose an option and click „OK” to recalc the WBS codes and leaf the sheet.
- No project can have more than a single custom code mask.